I’m a huge Jacksonville Jaguars fan and it’s a tough life for us fans. It’s been 8 years since the Jags have had a winning record. Yeah, we suck! Anwyays, since we never win, I thought it would be funny to spin up one of those “Did Your Team Win?” websites, like DidDukeWin. However, instead of needing to update it after each game, I wanted to find an API that tracks NFL scores in real-time, so team scores are automatically updated, without me needing to edit anything.
- Find & use NFL API to check scores weekly
- Create one-page site that pull in data from feed and shows if team won or lost
- This is just for fun
Using the NFL Live API, I was able to get the latest score as a JSON feed, access the scores object and parse each team’s scoring information for that particular week.
Since the data-set does not say which team is the winner, I needed to create a method to check whether or not the Jaguars were the Home or Away team and create a decision against possible scoring outcomes.
I stored the Home/Away check as a boolean variable -
isHome and tested it against the
teamName (in this case, an object result with string value of: “Jaguars”).
Then, set up how to determine a winner. Obviously, whichever team scores more points is the winner. So, I needed to have that for each outcome (Home and Away).
var winnerHome = (scoreHome > scoreAway); //returns a boolean value (true or false)
Now, we can check against the possible scoring outcomes:
- If team IS home, and the home team IS the winner, the outcome is: “Won at home.”
- If team IS home, and the home team IS NOT the winner, the outcome is: “Lost at home.”
- If team IS NOT home, and the home team IS the winner, the outcome is: “Lost at away.”
- If team IS NOT home, and the home team IS NOT the winner, the outcome is: “Won at away.”
Taking it a step futher, I decided… why not do this for all the current teams that suck (Browns, Bucs, Dolphins). Since I’m using Jekyll as my parsing engine for the site, all it would take is to set global variables in the
_config.yml file and change those variables to reflect the new team’s site information. Then, add a menu toggle so the user can switch between sites. I purchased domains for each team and here’s what we have: